Perhaps you are, like me, watching as the world gains a better understanding of COVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2. If we can understand its nature, we can determine ways to prevent and treat this disease.
Though there are still uncertainties about its nature, we are aware of health practices that determine and improve a person's health, ability to resist infection and prevent disease. Like the flu or any other infection, just because you are exposed does not mean you will be infected. Moreover, if infected, how your body responds (including the symptoms you will experience or how quickly you will recover) depends on your immune status and overall health.
Therefore, to stay healthy, prevent disease and resist infection, consider factors that affect your immune status and overall level of health:
1. Focus on developing and improving proven healthy lifestyle habits.
A Nutritionist and Naturopath can help you customize the strategy that is best for you.
Proven Healthy Habits for Overall Health and Immunity
1. Healthy Diet (see Power of Food)
2. Adequate Sleep
3. Manage Stress
5. Water. Drinking adequate water is vital for proper hydration, flushing toxins in the body and contributing to an improved immune system.
Who is More Susceptible to COVID-19?
• Adults 60 years and older.
Considerations to Optimize Immune Health
Because those more susceptible to COVID-19 are essentially those who are immune compromised in various ways, the real defense against COVID-19 is optimizing your immune system. Thus the above five healthy habits for health and immunity are essential. Others factors to consider:
• Vitamin D. Having optimized Vitamin D levels is important as this vitamin is an immune system regulator. Studies have shown that people with especially low D are more vulnerable to COVID-19.
• Zinc is vital for healthy immune function. Many Americans have sub-optimal zinc levels, particularly the elderly, which compromises the immune system. High concentrations of zinc inside cells inhibit the replication of RNA viruses such as COVID-19.
• Curcumin inhibits COVID-19 main protease, a potential drug target. Curcumin also has an inhibitory effect on virus-induced cytokine storms, which occur as a result of an overproduction of immune cells and pro-inflammatory cytokines, and modulates immune responses, meaning it can both upregulate and downregulate immune responses as needed. According to a scientific review, curcumin can be used as a therapeutic agent against pneumonia, acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome resulting from coronavirus infection. Curcumin also has direct antiviral activity against many viruses, including SARS-CoV (the coronavirus responsible for SARS).Dr. Mercola article
• Exercise improves immune system function, energy metabolism, oxidative stress, inflammation, tissue repair and growth factor response.
• Adequate Sleep is essential to overall health. Studies show that people who do not get quality sleep or enough sleep are more likely to get sick after being exposed to a virus, such as a common cold virus. Lack of sleep can also affect how fast you recover if you do get sick.